Friday 20 February 2009

Midweek Blues

Since the beginning of the week I've been steadily losing confidence that Weight Watchers is going to work for me. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what has bought this on, but I think it's a combination of factors.

Firstly, that so far I've actually found the plan pretty easy to stick to without denying myself anything, and I've had reasonable losses each week. Yep - this is actually a reason to inspire doubt, folks!! You see, nothing is ever easy (at least in my world), and nothing comes for free, so I'm deeply sceptical of anything that seems this good. Where's the catch? When's it going to stop working?

Secondly, that my losses have been gradually decreasing as the weeks go by. Now logically, I know that this is due to the fact that actually my losses were pretty big the first couple of weeks and that they're now settling into a steady pattern, and that this is common. But, due to my unhealthily cynical mind (see point 1), I'm convinced that this means they're going to tail off into nothing and I'll be left sitting on a little plateau.

And thirdly, that I've been trying very hard, starting last Monday, to obey the golden rule that you only step on the scales on weigh in day. And apparently I'm a little paranoid about what happens when I'm not looking!

Despite this challenge of avoiding the dreaded SP (sneaky peek for those who don't speak WW parlance), I caved yesterday, much to my disgust. In fact I think most of my disgust was due to the fact that the scales said I'd put on a lb since Monday, but I was remarkably unsurprised by that (see point 1 again). Hey ho - I've jumped back on that wagon anyway and avoided the scales this morning, apart from eye-balling them balefully as I walked past them - damn things rule my life anyway, so I was buggered if I was going to give into them on this occasion!

And so there we have it - instant demoralisation. In spite of that, I'm still sticking to the plan, although I've got dinner out tonight at a restaurant that looks like it might be just a little challenging to say the least. Can you say "cream in every dish"? Just have to do a bit of catching up over the weekend.

In other news, my osteopath told me never to darken her door again yesterday. She did mean this in the nicest possible way, as I've been seeing her for a couple of weeks for inflammation around the spine after a particularly innocent-looking snowboarding accident last month (why are they always the worst ones?), so I skipped out of her office full of the joys of Spring at being all shiny and better again. Can you guess the next bit? Yep - 10 points and a gold star to you in the front there - after a week of virtually no trouble at all, I'm walking round today like a flipping arthritic 80 year old again. God knows why, but I'm just hoping it sorts itself out for good soon, as I'm getting deeply fed up of not being able to stand up and move around properly. Grrrrrrrr....

And on that note, I shall finish today's rant!

No comments: