Wednesday 11 August 2010

Surf babe (not)

I'm sitting on our hotel room terrace listening to the early mornings birds and animals chattering away. I can just hear the surf in the background. It's pretty early (still before 7) but we seem to be stuck on a cycle of early up and early to bed at the moment.

We're down in Domincal on the Pacific Coast now and it's really beautiful and chilled out here - a perfect example of the Costa Rican "pura vida" way of life - laid back surf culture and quite a few ex-pat Americans.




Just had my first surf lesson yesterday morning - saw the size of the waves when we got here Monday and freaked, but it was far gentler when we went out yesterday - around 3 to 4 foot swell which was perfect to learn in. We're learning on smaller boards which makes it a bit tougher to get stood up, but I think I did well enough - was very close to standing up and staying there - just need to practice popping up in the right place on the board rather than shuffling around to get it right once I'm up.

I was so scared about the first lesson, but it turned out fine - it IS hard but, being so much fitter now, I didn't make a fool of myself and I wasn't uncomfortable exhausted. I was able to keep up with the girls which was great.

I'm also finding the confidence to wear little beach skirts and shorts, and even in the heat I'm still feeling fairly comfortable.

My eating's not been perfect since I got here - too much of that "holiday" feeling to contend with initially, but after that first day of travelling I've been under 30 points a day, which given I'm on 21 normally isn't catastrophically bad. Have been finding my feet slowly, and yesterday was almost a normal day food-wise - I'm back to feeling that a month is a long time and there's no need to treat myself every day now so that should make things a bit easier.

Got our second lesson this morning and then a trip to the Poza Azul waterfall this afternoon, and probably out for some drinks in town this evening.

I could get used to it out here! :-)




- Posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

Linz M said...

Sounds like you are having a fab time - so jealous!

Am sure you'll have your eating under control once things settle a bit. Have an amazing time!

x

Seren said...

I'm jealous too - sounds idyllic and I have always wanted to try surfing...

Keeping to under 30 points daily is brilliant for holiday eating as far as I am concerned.

Have fun!

Sx