Friday 2 April 2010

A weekend in Wales

I haven't weighed in yet this morning, but despite pretty steady eating over the second half of the week and a not so bad weekend the scales had resolutely moved back up yesterday, so to be honest I'm not expecting great things. Frustrating as hell, but I need to stick with it.

I had an absolutely appalling day at work yesterday, rounding off the week from hell, but at least I didn't let it over-run in to my eating. Someone gave me a Cadbury Creme Egg as a little thankyou at lunchtime and it it was still on my desk at the end of the day. In fact, it's still in my handbag.

If I can just do the conscious eating (or not eating as the case may be) thing more often, that would be half my battle won, but I do wonder if that will ever become second nature?

I had healthy stir-fry when I finally got home, but having finished so late the last couple of nights I've missed several workouts which makes me grumpy. What I did get was some therapy time in the kitchen last night. I don't know why it is that I've found learning to bake so bloody enjoyable, but I find it highly relaxing to get in the kitchen, stick some music on and make a mess.

Maybe it's the making-something-out-of-nothingness of baking that calms me? Taking a load of disparate raw ingredients and watching it magically combine into something conpletely different? Well, I don't know, but it's nice to have found it! Hey, maybe it's the constant compliments I get on the results that does it for me? I am a total attention-whore after all!!! Whatever it is, it was time to learn how to bake cookies last night and oh. my. god. did they ever come out well!! I coudn't believe how those little round dollops of dough turned into big, wonderful soft cookies. Laced with chocolate chunks too! I had one and it was heaven, and the rest are in a big airtight box to take away with me today.

So, that brings us to the weekend, and it's going to be tough. I'm heading off today for 4 days in Wales with a big group of friends for Bridget's birthday. I really don't want to come back from this having put lbs back on, but that's going to require a lot of work to navigate it safely.

There's 10 of us staying in a beautiful converted church called the Writer's Retreat, somewhere wild and wooly in the middle of Wales. The plan was to climb Cader Idris tomorrow and go mountain biking on Sunday, but the current weather looks like it's going to put a stop on one or both of those. The thing is, I need that exercise to counteract all the cake and booze that's going to be flying round this weekend. I am going to have to be very careful what goes in my gob if I want to avoid further smack-downage at the scales.

Give me strength!!!!

*Edit - Phew!!!! The scales backed down, and I've stayed the same. I know how to pick my battles so I'll take that result. *

-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments: