Friday 23 September 2011

Keeping It Real

The Scales of Doom have decreed that I have officially put on a lb this week.  After a quick glance at my tracker, I think I can say I deserve that.  I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago, saying exactly the same thing, and whilst my eating has been better this week, I think this is the cumulative effect of weeks of not very clever eating.  I'm just being honest.  With myself and with you.

Here's what I realised looking back at my tracker:
  • a month ago, I got down to 12st 4.8lbs after 4 weeks of conscientious eating.
  • at the beginning of that run of conscientious eating, I had a frustrating couple of weeks when the scales only moved by tiny increments, despite the effort I was putting in, and we all concluded (yet again) that these things take a while to show up on the scale.
  • in the past 4 weeks, I've eaten badly, and gotten away with it at the scale in a pretty light fashion - any one else thinking "yeah, but it takes a while to show up, dumbass"?.
It's not all doom and gloom though - whilst I might have put on a lb this week, my tracker has been significantly better than the previous weeks.  In fact, when I looked back, I basically had one spectacularly bad week and then each week has gotten a tiny bit better since.  That first week, when I had the giant gain after the hen party, I didn't even track for half the week - I think I knew it was very bad and I pretty much wrote the week off before it was finished.  As we all know, that's not a clever attitude, but I would hazard a guess that it was easily worse than any of the weeks that followed.  The week after, I realised that I had to be honest, and started tracking all of it, and it wasn't pretty - I still had a 65 point deficit at the end of the week.  The next week a 47 point deficit.  Last week was down to 25 points.  Still a deficit, but an honest one.  And now you can see why I can shrug my shoulders over my little gain this week and say "I deserved that".  I did.

So continuing that pattern - this week will be a good one.  Limit the silly weekend excesses.  Get in the exercise.  Aim for a clean week on my tracker.  I've got two really clean days of eating behind me, since my H-M Revelation of Fear.  It's a good place to start from.

And to finish on a positive note - I may have gained this week, but last night's 5k run shaved another 15 seconds off my pace per mile, and it felt pretty strong.  And I didn't eat the entire contents of the fridge when I got home whilst I waited for my dinner to cook.  Good stuff :-)

1 comment:

LBTEPA said...

Hey, thanks so much for the comment - it really put a smile on my face! And WELL DONE signing up for your HM! You will have a great time and you'll never be the same again!