Wednesday 2 March 2011

Digging Deep

I will be the first to admit that there are days when I'm just not feeling it.  When it's a struggle to find the motivation to spring out of bed and book a spin class. 

This morning was definitely one of those days.  I rolled over, turned off the alarm, and .... just lay there.  Debating whether I could be bothered to spin, even though I said I would.  Eventually (after a couple of minutes) I hauled my lazy carcass out of bed, and at least looked at the timetable to see what time lunchtime spin was today.  Wooooohooooo - no spin class.  Oh rats - except that means I should run instead and spin tomorrow.

You know what turned that decision over for me, and made me pack my bag - I actually sat there and asked myself "how much do you want this?".  I talked about how you need to really want it a couple of weeks ago, and then you're prepared to make the neccesary decisions and sacrifices.  But right then, I wasn't following my own advice.  So I stopped and asked myself "how much do I want it?", and surprisingly, the answer was "enough".

My run turned out to be one of those where I was not feeling it.  I don't know if it was a hangover from last night's feebleness, but  I'm still fighting a total lack of energy, and feeling dull and lethargic.  So my completion of that run was born out of sheer bloody-minded stubborness.  I'd got most of the way round without stopping, and I hadn't died yet, so I just dug deep and got on with it.  5km, no walking breaks, but it felt really slow and ploddy, and just leaden really.  Also my first run without company for a couple of weeks, so without a companion to pace against, I felt a little lost. 

I was therefore very surprised to look at my watch as I finished and see it was dead on 31 mins, for just a 100 or so metres of exactly 5km.  That is, if not my quickest ever run, damn close.  Huh - go figure!

1 comment:

Victoria said...

This sounds like a post I can write many time over, well done for getting on with it, it is about how much you want it and are willing to work for it and it means digging deep when you really don't feel like it so good on you.
Keep up the good work.
Vics x