Saturday 11 December 2010

Community

Prompt: Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

I'm not sure I really discovered any new communities in 2010 - mostly I was very wrapped up in myself, but also burying myself more deeply into the communities I already have.

Having discovered the blogging universe in 2009, I thoroughly surprised myself by sticking with something and continuing to blog my ups and downs right through this year. Sadly for you, I think we can safely say this now seems to be a habit and you're stuck with me for the foreseeable future. What I did find in 2010 was that I definitely took something back from the community - as I struggled with making any kind of progress from January to June, I found the blogs of others to be a constant source of inspiration and encouragement to continue, as well as a never-ending font of new perspectives.

2010 has also been a year when I found the confidence to start toying with the idea of sports clubs. I tried some mountain-biking outings with clubs and really enjoyed them, and that's definitely something I'd like to get more involved with in 2011.

In fact, 2011 is going to be all about building new community for me. Having just moved to a brand new city where I dont know many people, I've been thinking about approaching things a new way. Instead of finding people and then getting involved with the things they do (which is undoubtedly a great way to try new things), I'm going to think about what it is I really enjoy doing, or want to try, and find places to do those with, and see who I meet along the way. Mostly, I want to take a bit of time and figure out who I am and what I enjoy.

I don't know how that will pan out but current thoughts include mountain-biking (I've already found a possible club for when
the weather improves a bit), a show choir / Glee club, bikram
Yoga and Spanish lessons. Those possibilities should keep me busy for a while and it will be opportunities to meet lots of new people I might not get otherwise.

- Posted from my iPhone

1 comment:

Zanna said...

I'm loving how positive you're sounding and the fact that you're realising that you're allowed to choose and do what YOU want - you deserve it! Go you little legend you!!! Zxx