Tuesday 26 July 2011

To Know Or Not To Know

I pretty much have nothing interesting to report at the moment, so apologies for the boring monotony in the blog recently.  I realise that me setting daily challenges for myself, that I do or don't achieve, doesn't make for the most fascinating of reading (although 6 for 6 on the challenges right now - c'mon people, that's impressive for me!).

So yesterday was another day kicked in, and today is more of the same.  Not really much more to say on that point right now.  I continue to be surprised by how little food it takes to keep me full, satisfied and functioning, especially when I'm starting from really hungry and not slightly hungry.  I keep having to get over my own expectations.

For some reason, I felt like I had cheated yesterday evening.  I don't know why, because I'd tracked everything I've ever tracked since the beginning of Weightwatchers and I was bang on my points, but there was that nagging feeling just the same.  Maybe because I always expect myself to slip sooner or later, and so I'm questioning whether I'd done it without noticing?  The only thing I didn't point that I ate yesterday was the frozen veg I used to fill out my bowl of pasta at dinner, but then I've never pointed frozen veg.  I don't know why Weightwatchers arbitrarily decided that fresh and canned veg and even frozen fruit have zero points, and frozen veg doesn't, but I don't eat it often and I don't eat much, so I decided right from the very start that I would call it zero too.  When it comes down to it and I'm hungry and need something extra, and there's no fresh veg around, I'd rather default to some frozen veg, and call it zero, than make a poor choice for the same points Weightwatchers have prescribed.  My personal choice, I guess.

Other than that, the week is ticking along as usual.  I did my Body Balance class yesterday, and I swear that I am very, very slowly becoming a bit more flexible.  I was ummnig and ahhing over whether to do the early morning spin class this morning or the lunchtime one, and in the process nearly managed to not do one at all!  I woke up at 6am this morning and decided that more sleep was required and I'd be going to the lunchtime class, but then totally forgot that I usually ring up to book it at 6.30am, because it tends to fill up so ridiculously quickly!  I had my bag all packed and ready to go at 8.30am, when I suddenly realised my error, but I guess people must be on holiday at the moment as I got lucky and scored a place anyway - phew!!

On a different matter, I am beginning to think I'm going to have to exile myself from the scales this week - I know I said last week that I have to focus on what I can control, my eating and my exercise, and stop worrying about what I can't - hi Stupid Scales, I'm talking to you - but I'm finding myself very frustrated by the fact that one nice meal on Saturday night is still causing my weight to be up on Friday's weigh in.  Breeeeeeathe.  I know that one meal in a week of conscientious eating shouldn't cause a gain.  And in any case there's nothing I can do about it, but maybe stepping on the scales and being annoyed by it daily isn't the right answer. 

But damnit, I'm surgically attached to those scales.  I only weight once I a day, and I take it on the chin, and if I'm not near them I'm not bothered by missing a couple of days, but I find it so freaking hard not to step on them in the morning if they're just there staring me in the face in the bathroom.  So hard not to know.  I've tried weaning myself away from them before, but I can't resist the temptation when they're there.

Hmmmmm, might have to ponder that one.  I don't know if I work harder knowing what I'm dealing with, or not knowing.

No comments: